How to Meditate: A Step-by-Step Procedure
Note: On days when time is limited, Steps 1 and 2 can be skipped.
Step 1: Bending & Twisting Exercises
- Begin by holding both fingers in chin mudra and placing them on the knee for each Chakra (Mooladhara, Swadhisthana, Manipuraha, Anahata, Vishuddhi, Ajna, and Sahasrahara) – 7 times each.
- Bend forward on the left side and take your chin towards the outside of the knee.
- Come up and do the same on the right side.
Breath Control during the Exercise
Step a: While bending forward, exhale and count 1, 2, 3.
Step b: Hold the air and the thought at the particular chakra, counting 4, 5, 6.
Step c: Inhale while counting 7, 8, 9, and come up to an erect position.
Step d: Hold the breath for 10, 11, 12, and then repeat the exercise on the right side.
Note: Concentrate on the thought at each chakra during the exercise.
- Hold both your hands in chin mudra.
- Now, for twisting left for Mooladhara, place your left hand on the left groin so that the middle, ring, and index fingers are on the outside of the left thigh. Place the right hand against the left knee in chin mudra.
- Exhale and count 1, 2, 3 while twisting left.
- Hold the count 4, 5, 6, keeping the spine in a stretched position at the Mooladhara.
- Inhale and count 7, 8, 9, and come forward.
- Hold and count 10, 11, 12.
- Repeat the same twisting exercise for each chakra until reaching the forehead and the top of the head.
Step 2: Salutation to the Pancha Bhootas (Five Elements), Wisdom, and Soul
- Sit in Vajrasana.
- Lean bend forward and then come up.
- Salute the EARTH principle at Mooladhara, the base of the spine.
- Salute the WATER principle at Swadhisthana, two inches below your navel point.
- Salute the FIRE principle at Manipuraha, the stomach region.
- Salute the AIR principle at the Anahata, the chest region.
- Salute the SPACE principle at the Vishuddhi, the throat region.
- Salute the WISDOM principle at the Forehead Region.
- Salute the SOUL principle at the Top Head Region.
By following these steps, you can embark on your meditation practice and experience a deeper connection with yourself and the elements around you.
Step 3: Salutation to Mother Father and the Guru
- Sit in normal Meditation position
- Fold your thumb and then the 4 fingers ,and place it on the knees. This is called Aadhi Mudra
- In Aadhi Mudra , think of your mother in the forehead eye , exhale, lean, bend forward and salute your mother.
- In Aadhi Mudra , think of your father in the forehead eye , exhale, lean, bend forward and salute your father.
- In Aadhi Mudra , think of your SATGURU, exhale lean bend forward and salute your Guru
Step 3: Salutation to Mother, Father, and the Guru
- Assume a normal meditation position, sitting comfortably.
- Perform the Aadhi Mudra: Fold your thumb and then the four fingers and place your hands on your knees.
- While in Aadhi Mudra, follow these steps:
Think of your mother in the forehead eye, exhale, lean, bend forward, and lovingly salute your mother.
Think of your father in the forehead region, exhale, lean, bend forward, and respectfully salute your father.
Think of your SATGURU (spiritual teacher), exhale, lean, bend forward, and reverently salute your Guru.
This act of salutation acknowledges the profound role of your parents and Guru in your life’s journey, expressing gratitude and love. Embrace this practice with a sincere heart and deepen your connection with those who have guided and nurtured you.
Step 4: Meditation
- Sit in a comfortable posture with your neck, spinal cord, and head erect.
- Gaze your eyes at the tip of the nose.
- Concentrate your mind on the place between the eyebrows for the first five minutes, and then shift your focus to the top head eye and maintain concentration for the next 15 minutes.
- As you progress, you may experience sensations such as a pulse, pressure, or an inner feeling like an ant crawling. Direct your attention to this divine vibration.
- If your eyes naturally close after 3-5 minutes, there’s no need to strain to gaze at the tip of the nose.
During this meditation practice, allow your mind to become still and centered, immersing yourself in the present moment. Embrace the sensations and vibrations, and let your inner awareness guide you to a place of peace and tranquility.
Before you finish the meditation, spread blessings and share the “blissful (peaceful) vibrations” or the “energy” to yourself, your family, your parents, your friends, your spouse, your children, your workplace, your city, your country, the whole world, and then the Universe. Offer these blessings with a selfless thought.
After completing the meditation, rub your hands together five times and then gently place them on your eyelids. Experience the warmth emanating from the center of your palms, permeating through your closed eyelids. Repeat this process once more.
Next, raise your hands above your head, about 12 inches, and receive the energy from the Dwadasantha center located at the center of your palms. Allow this energy to descend gracefully through the center of your spine, starting from the top of your head.
Mentally think, “Let my intellect be purified and energized.”
Then, once more, raise your hands and receive the energy, allowing it to descend, while mentally thinking, “Let my mind become peaceful.”
Raise your hands again and receive the energy, allowing it to flow through your palms. As you touch each chakra from the top of your head to the base of your spine, extend the energy through your back, legs, hands, fingers, and all the parts of your face. While doing so, focus your thoughts and intentions, thinking, “Let my body become fit and healthy.”
Now, bend forward in a humble gesture and offer yourself to the Satguru, mentally expressing, “Satguruve Saranam”. Embrace this act of devotion, and let it further deepen your spiritual connection and inner transformation.
Step 5 : Blessings to the World
Keep your hands in namaskar Mudra , thumb touching the forehead eye and say
Let Wisdom Flourish; Let peace Prevail; Let us protect Satya Yuga by the Grace of the Almighty ; Let the Food grains be available to one and all for eradication of poverty; Let the earth cool itself By 2020; Let world peace be established.