Universal Peace Foundation of North America (UPFNA) has been serving the Omaha community since 1999 and formally registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization in 2005. Our mission is to spread universal peace through individual and inner peace by the practice of Kundalini meditation and Yoga and guided by our Guru, Gurumahan, and parent organization in India. When an individual is peaceful within, their family is happy. When families are happier, the society, nation and gradually the whole world becomes peaceful and blissful.
UPFNA uses a holistic three pronged approach in its activities to train the body by using a series of simple Hatha Yoga postures, focusing the mind by using a series of breathing techniques and connect with the self by a series of meditation techniques.
UPFNA operates solely on donations and offers its services to the community through a variety of classes and targeted workshops to different sections of the society. Below are some highlights of UPFNA’s ongoing activities to promote holistic well-being and education.
- Weekly kids yoga classes offered at three levels based on age groups from kindergarten to high school that is attended by more than 120 kids focusing on physical wellbeing, inner strengths and personality development and molding into well-rounded citizens
- Kundalini Yoga for adults/Community yoga classes are classes open to the public and is attended by more than 20 different practitioners every week,
- Private Kundalini Yoga, Therapy Yoga and Prenatal Yoga are classes for people with special needs.
- Introduction to Yoga and Meditation are classes at community centers and public libraries
- Training and volunteering opportunities for kids in their teens for enhancing their leadership skills and becoming yoga instructors
- Health and Human services by partnering with the Douglas County to provide yoga and meditation classes at adult correctional facilities and youth center to strengthen inner self-reliance and discrimination power.
- Annual advanced yoga workshops that are led by our eminent yoga guru from India benefitting over 150 attendees.
- Yoga instructor training programs to advanced practitioners to obtain 200/500 hour certifications and become certified yoga instructors and pursue it as a career
- Yoga for Wellness workshops and courses at offices as a part of company wellness initiatives
- Stress Management sessions at offices and during special events
- International Day of Yoga, Global Peace Day celebrations and more
Starting from 2010, UPFNA has also established a chapter in the San Francisco Bay Area with weekly yoga classes and special meditation sessions.